Evangelism & Missions
- Evangelism attempts to lead an individual to personal commitment to Christ as Savior and Lord.
- Missions describes the personal involvement of a Christian to confront all peoples with the Good News of Jesus Christ.
Evangelism and missions are one according to Scripture.
Who is the greatest missionary & evangelist? Jesus is. God is a missionary God; the Son of God, who left the glory of heaven and became incarnate as a man, is the greatest missionary & evangelist in all of history.
- What is the greatest missions & evangelism book? The Word of God (the Bible) is. The Bible is a missionary book. The culmination of the biblical message in Revelation reveals people from every tribe, tongue, and nation praising the name of God (Rev. 7:9-10).
- Theology is the mother of missions. Missions and theology go together.
- Theology without missions and evangelism is dead orthodoxy. Missions without theology is absent a gospel to be proclaimed.
- “History verifies the interconnection between theology and missions. On the one hand, individuals, churches, and denominations that abandon orthodox Christian truth do not engage in evangelism and mission. Liberal theology produces death and a neutered, impotent gospel. On the other hand, theological affirmations, such as, a biblical understanding of God’s holiness and love, the depravity and sinfulness of human beings, the atoning sacrifice of Christ’s death, and the exclusivity of salvation through personal faith in Christ produces healthy offspring.” - Danny Akin, President SEBTS
- Who is responsible for evangelism & missions?
- Each follower of Jesus by the power of the Holy Spirit. “It is the duty and privilege of every follower of Christ and of every church of the Lord Jesus Christ to endeavor to make disciples of all nations.” (Matt. 28:18-20; Acts 1:8; BF&M Line 1)
- I am responsible for sharing my faith: Romans 3:23, 6:23, 5:8, 10:9-10 13; 5:1
- Helpful sharing resources: Life on Mission App
- We are to be real people, walking with Christ, inviting others, and serving together to reach our neighbors and the nations: Pray, Give, Go, Share! Mobilize, Send, GO!
- What is the goal & scope of evangelism & missions?
- Make disciples of all nations, all the people groups of the world. (Matt. 24:14)
- We are empowered witnesses to Jerusalem (people who are like us who live close to us), Judea (people who are like us who live far away), Samaria (people who are different from us who live close to us), and the ends of the earth (people who are different from us who live far away).
- The IMB estimates that over 6,500 unreached people groups remain in the world
- The IMB estimates that 3,072 are Unengaged, Unreached People Groups (https://www.imb.org/great-pursuit/) - Join the pursuit as a Virtual Explorer
- The need is great. As of 2023 there are over 8 Billion people in the world. 4.2 Billion have little to no access to the gospel (https://missionsclock.sebts.edu/)
- We impact lostness together in partnership: https://www.imb.org/impact/ (explore stories, God’s word in the world, financials, getting involved) (IMB app)
- We learn how to go short-term & mid-term (https://www.imb.org/opportunity-finder/), and long-term (https://www.imb.org/go/options/full-part-time/)
- *Parkway projects for 2024 will be laid out in December, 2023* (www.parkwayfamily.org)
- Parkway projects go if it is Spirit led, Strategic, and good Stewardship for the church and her resources. We prioritize those whom have been sent out from Parkway.
- Why do we do evangelism & missions?
- Because we worship God. The worship of God is the fuel of missions and evangelism Psalm 67
- God blesses His people for the sake of His praise and proclamation among all people groups.
- This truth gives us our identity and our purpose.
- God’s blessings (physical and spiritual) are meant to flow through you for the proclamation and praise of the name of Jesus among all people groups.
- We are prone to disconnect the blessings of God in our lives from the purpose of God for our lives.
- God’s blessings are not meant to terminate with you - they are not only for you, your utilization, and your enjoyment.
- Missions exists because worship doesn’t. Missions begins and ends in worship.
- There will be no big world vision without a big God.
- There will be no passion to draw others into the worship of God where there is no passion for worshiping God.
- The pursuit of God’s glory must be ordered above all other pursuits.
- God’s grace does not center on us. The blessing of salvation, mercy and grace is to be poured out for the praise and proclamation of the name of Jesus among all peoples (for God’s glory and the good of others).